Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lists

After rich food, wine and dancing outside last night to cover versions of Freshly Ground, I really did not feel like facing a run this morning. So I went back to bed with a cup of tea. Half an hour later, it looked quite overcast outside and still cool enough to run. I gave myself a wee kick up the bum and  talking to, "It's Juneathon!" etc and I put on my running gear.



And I'm so glad I did, I had such a good run. I got lost in my thoughts and made lists in my head.

I like lists. I make them all the time: my packing to-do list, a bucket list, a list of books I want to read next year. A list of films I want to watch and a list of my favourite food for my last Kampala cook-club.

So in my head on my run, I made a  list of countries I have visited. I want the amount visited always to be equal to (or more) than my age. (You can't just can't an airport and you have to have been in the country for more than 24 hours-so Vatican City doesn't count- for the country to quality!)

At the moment I have 32 on my list ( I think? Malta might be on that list-but I can't remember it-so that surely doesn't count...) four more than my age. A good thing really, as I am planning on staying around in Kenya for my next few holidays!

Countries I have visited
  • Bahrain
  • Gibraltar
  • UK (Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
  • Ireland
  • Spain
  • Andorra
  • France
  • Italy
  • Sweden
  • Cyprus
  • Portugal
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Kuwait
  • Qatar
  • Jordan
  • Egypt
  • Lebanon
  • Thailand
  • Cambodia
  • Vietnam
  • India
  • China
  • South Africa
  • Uganda
  • Rwanda
  • Kenya
  • Tanzania
  • Canada
  • United States of America
  • Panama
  • Mexico
I then made a list of where I want to visit in the next few years. The list isn't as long...because really, I will happily travel anywhere, anytime!

Countries I want to visit
  • Zimbabwe (next on my list...Charlotte!!??)
  • Botswana
  • Zambia
  • Ethiopia
  • Madagascar
  • Mozambique
Which countries are on your list?


Then I came back and got an unknown call, I answered it all sweaty and tired and I was rude to this stranger before I figured out that he wanted to buy my Prado. I was even ruder when he offered me 6 million shillings for it!!!Baaaaah!

Juneathon Day 11
Distance:7.8km  Time:53 minutes
Number of children following me shouting 'mzungu, mzungu' (really wasn't in the mood for children today)-3
Other runners I saw this morning in Bukoto/Nguru area: 1
Lists made in head: 3 - including today's to-do list.

3 comments:

  1. Impressive list and impressive mind occupying technique which I will try, not sure I will make my age that may be because I am too old or have not travelled enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been to so many countries!

    I would also travel anywhere, but I would love to visit China, Japan, and several countries in South America. I've only been to Europe at this point!

    Happy comment love day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list!! Thanks to the Army I have seen S.Korea, a peek of N.Korea (from the S. Korean border), and now, Germany. So far Germany is my favorite!! I have seen the states too... but I like Germany better!

    I hope to visit ALL of the countries bordering Germany. i really would love to see Sweden, Finland and Norway (as I am Scandinavian!), Ireland, and any other land I can land my grubby little toes on! I just love seeing other countries!!

    I am surprised by looking at your list that you have not made it to Germany! I love it here SO much, it is SO clean. It reminds me A LOT of home (Oregon)!!

    So you're in Kenya?? My Husband's Mom is a missionary who goes there very often, and his step dad is Kenyan! So cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment-it is always nice to hear from you!